A few words about connecting with people here.

Originally shared by Adam Lasnik

A few words about connecting with people here.

1) Don't feel compelled to reciprocate!
This is not Facebook :). Just because someone adds you to a circle does NOT mean they expect you to add them to a circle. Example: I added Tom Anderson, co-founder of MySpace, to a circle ("Interesting People"). He may be my "friend" on MySpace, but he doesn't know me from Adam, and I've never met him; I don't expect him to be as interested in what I have to say as vice versa!

This also means you (ideally) shouldn't feel uncomfortable when someone you don't know adds you to a circle. They're probably not asking (or even wanting) to be your friend; they just want to see what, if anything, you choose to post publicly.

2) Don't feel shy about adding people to a circle
(and, contrary to my example above, don't ever feel compelled to tell someone what circle you've added them to. They can't find out this info themselves, and it's none of their business :p)


One of the cool things about Google+ is that you don't have to worry about adding too many people, or the "wrong" people. When you add them -- or anytime after -- you choose which circle(s) you put 'em in. Then you just post to -- and read -- what you want.

3) As a good rule of thumb, try to add reserve one circle for the people you really care about personally, that you want to share personal stuff with.
"Friends" or "Best Friends" or whatever. Then, you can do two cool things:
- Add just that circle when you want to share something personal.
- Click on that circle name (on the left) when you want to read posts just from those friends, without the clutter from others (especially obnoxiously loquacious folks like me :p)

But then when you have more time and you want a broader cross-section, or the chance to get to know other people better, you can click on your "Interesting People" list, or even "Stream" (which shows posts from all your circles).

You always have the choice, and if you end up becoming good friends with one of those folks... just a couple of clicks and boom they're in your Friends circle :-).

* * *

Hope this helps make you more comfortable with the whole sharing and reading thing here on Google+! I've been using the service for a while (as a tester) and once I realized that I was 100% in control of who I shared with and what I read, it made the whole G+ experience a lot more fun for me, so that's why I decided to share :-)
Whew!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Agents we have our cells

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks