Why cooperation is important - thoughts from Battle in Seattle

Originally shared by Kira Kroger

Why cooperation is important - thoughts from Battle in Seattle

I'm the lead moderator of the Seattle Resistance Community and I've been playing ingress for a little over a month.  In that time we've had 4 Resistance meetups and as you can see from the screenshots below a little bit of organization makes a world of difference (left taken 11/30 right taken today).

All 4 of the meetups have been fairly short (2-3 hours) and only covered a small area.  The main priority at the meetups is sharing information and helping the low level players understand game mechanics so we can all be better players. 

The thing I've come to realize however is that at this point in the evolution of the game cooperation within your own faction isn't the only thing that is needed.  With the low drop rate of portal keys the only way to make real progress is when you have turnover and you can't have really effective turnover if one side crushes the other.  Here in Seattle members of the Resistance and Enlightened have been talking in order to figure out ways to help everyone have fun, just because one side got organized doesn't mean they can't help the other.

This is a brand new type of game and although I'm sure Niantic Project has a plan of where the game is going, I'm guessing that plan is evolving rapidly as they see how it's used.  To that end I am vested in making sure that everyone both Enlightened and Resistance enjoys their experience because I want to see where this goes. I can't wait to see what Ingress looks like when it goes live because I have a feeling it will be significantly different than what we see now.

In the end it is a game and it's intended for fun.  Nothing in life is perfect (not even Google) so report bugs, report cheating, be patient, be social gasp and most of all have fun.  

Mistyayn

P.S. Anyone in Seattle from either faction feel free to contact me and I'll try and help you if I can.

Comments

  1. Well put. I am a moderator for the Enlightened of Boise, and our whole city has turned from blue to green in a week. When I started, it was easier (or so I hear) to get xmp bursters from enemy portals. Now all the resistance say they cannot get bursters at all because there are literally no resistance portals left in the whole area. So we are proposing to allow safe home base portals for each side that will not be targeted, and some of us have stopped recharging just to give a little more opportunity to those on the other team, and for new players who aren't part of our community yet. It's funner when there is some competition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor Hunt that is a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE TO SEE THIS.... yes im shouting!  We (resistance) are continuing talks of a similar nature here in Chattanooga TN.  While we are glad we have the ability to dominate our city... we also want the players of the other team to enjoy the game, and certainly dont want to push players away from the game due to our iron grasp.  I have even went as far to make contact with the other faction and share our (group recruiting codes) which are extras we recruit with as a team.

    I love how we can come together as players, and have a great time, and then split ways and have an ALL out WAR....   #ingress  is amazing like that.

    ALSO, another good approach, is by letting the enemy HAVE a number of portals, but LIMIT what they can do with them by creating fields over them.  this way they can get supplies but still now link for MU's...  thats my current strategy.  

    plus, it makes it a bigger challenge for me to NET them in, rather than just destroying the portal....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm depressed to no end seeing this in my home town. Why? Because, from my strategic position in Beacon Hill, all I can do is watch and try in vain to be clever or artistic enough to get an #ingressinvite .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dying to get in! Glad to see it's active in Seattle - now to figure out who gets Belltown... When I have an invite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm visiting Seattle in two weeks and hope to have an #ingressinvite by then. If so, a meet up would be awesome! I'd love to learn to play well from the get go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, I'll try to save up 1999 bursters to bring to Seattle to try and even out the color scheme a little. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm relocating to Seattle next month. Can't wait. Guess I know which side off the lake I need to live on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may need to do a road trip to Boise and help the resistance...

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow thats quite a difference. I was wondering what would happen if one side was suddenly beating the other. I cant play this game yet, but hearing about all the possibilities makes me a little excited. I live in a fairly densly populated area so it would be fun to see how the community interacts. #ingressinvite

    ReplyDelete
  11. Need to hand out more activation codes to play this game. I know I and many other people that would like to try out this game.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, Ive been waiting for 5+ weeks now. Im tired of waiting for something that doesnt look like its going to happen for a long time. I might as well block ingress from my postings. Im tired of reading about a game I cant play. #ingress   #ingressinvite  #ninaticproject #ingressinviteplease

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't give up, it's a beta test so they are limiting access. Can't be too much longer until they open it up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Matthew Mills & Bud Bartnik well guys, i hate to hear that but in fact, the reason you "can't play" is because the game is NOT out yet!  Much like you don't get to "Beta Test" and "play" the latest xbox games, and/or ps3 games.  It's very much the same thing.  Only in this case, you know it exists ahead of time, therefore your anxious.  But bottom line your wanting to take part of an unfinished product, and many like you are sore about it & feel excluded. 

    I also waited approx 5 weeks before I got activated, and only then did I get it because I was following the "storyline" very very closely.   I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Agents we have our cells

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks