Great story on how Ingress changes how you look at your area after playing.

Great story on how Ingress changes how you look at your area after playing.

Originally shared by Caitlyn Bowyer

Why I Play Ingress

It started as a game. 
The story from Niantic and the NIA intrigued me and although the story has developed, it has done so much more. 

I live in a small town. The first four portals here were the two Post Offices, the Library and the Fire Department, much like most smaller towns. But then I realized, there's history in my town. Not 'cool' history, but history nonetheless. Ingress changed the way I look at my hometown.

Mount Washington, was founded in the early 1800's and originally known as The Crossroads. When the town was officially chartered in 1822 it was named Mount Vernon, but there was a city in Rockcastle County that was already using that name, which is where Mount Washington came from. (Mount Vernon, for respect of George Washington, instead became Mount Washington, for the same reasons). In 1822 the city already had three churches, two schools, six stores and groceries, five doctors, two taverns, and twelve mechanical trades. The population then was roughly, 700.

In the 1850's, this town because the economic center of Bullitt County. Shortly after this time, the Civil War began, and although Kentucky as a whole tried it's best to remain neutral, battles were still fought here. One, to the north of Mount Washington along Floyds Fork on October 1, 1962. That battle, led to the retreat of the Confederate forces from the area. 

Since then, Mount Washington has grown. We lie on the borders of Louisville, Kentucky, and due to that we are known as a commuter town. 

So, here's some nifty things I like about my town.

Main Street Businesses: These business have been here for as long as I can remember. 
I've lived in this town my whole life, and I remember sitting on these steps as the Spring Festival Parade went by as a little girl. Things like Sullivan's Bakery, The First People's Bank, The Masonic Lodge and Standard Oil used to be found here.

Henry J. Barnes House: This place was a tanning salon as I grew up, it changed hands a few times. This was the home of the H.J. Barnes family while he was constructing the mansion across the street that later became the funeral home. The building served as the Mount Washington post office for several decades. The house remains intact and recognizable along Main Street today and is now home to the “Busy Lady” Quilt Shop.

Crazy Red's: This gentleman is known all over Bullitt County, and even a bit further out. When you see him in town, you call him 'Crazy' Red, although I don't recommend doing that to his face. He's been 'Going Out of Business' for at least 12 years, but he's always in the store, or right around the corner. 

McFarland-Troutman-Proffitt Funeral Home: Originally a mansion built by Henry J. Barnes, has always stood at the corner of The Crossroads. It became the centerpiece of downtown in the late 1800s. The Barnes family were well known craftsmen and bridge builders who constructed the two longest covered bridge spans in Kentucky, one of which still stands today. Walking inside the funeral home today, gives you a small glimpse of what it once looked like. The current owners have worked very hard to restore it to its original splendor.

The Crossroads: Now marked by a stoplight, that takes forever it to change it seems, this is where the town originally took it's nickname from. It is simply the intersection of the roads that run from Sheperdsville to Shelbyville and Louisville to Bardstown. The Maccabee Hall and the Parrish's Blacksmith Shop used to reside here. 

The Lloyd House: Built in 1880 by James M. Lloyd, generations of Lloyd descendants lived in the home until the 1980s when it was donated to the Mount Washington Historical Society. This is now the headquarters of the Mount Washington Historical Society. 

The Turnpike: Completed in 1925, it falls under several other names. Bardstown-Louisville Road, Main Street, Jackson Highway... 


Only one of these places is a portal in Ingress, and I can understand why (The Lloyd House). To find the information for them you have to dig way into the history of my small town. So, I did it for them. I found the information, I have the photos, and know that it would add some interest to the game. 


Since I've been playing, I've always tried to find new things to submit as portals. In the last week and a half I have submitted over 100 portals in different towns across the Bluegrass of Kentucky. Hopefully, some of these will see the light of day. To challenge local players of both factions, but to share some of the beautiful history that this state has to offer. 



TL;DR 
Play Ingress. Explore. Find new things. Fall in love with your city and the history that a game has brought to life. 
#ingress   #enlightened   #resistance   #nianticproject   #history   #smalltownAmerica  








Comments

  1. I wonder if those Lloyds are related to the Lloyds that have a big name around here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on where you are I assume Brian Geniesse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would give this +100 if I could. I love hearing about how people look up from the scanner and see all the cool stuff around them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take me here for weekend,jam out music festival

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caitlyn Bowyer Menominee, MI... Home of the Lloyd Loom and Lloyd theater

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have to look at ancestry records, but it's possible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog