South Africa is heard from....Congrats agents

South Africa is heard from....Congrats agents 

Originally shared by Jay Fox

Operation: Fields for Africa

Objective: create as many fields as possible in an efficient manner. 
Location: Grahamstown, South Africa
Date: Friday 12 April 2013 @ 00:43

SUMMARY
Links created: 137
Fields created: 134
Portals linked: 47
Deepest field: 12 fields
AP Gain in the process: 298,161 (including destruction of enemy portals)
Most vulnerable portal: 16 links, 29 fields

On average, 8.4 fields per portal, and 5.8 links per portal. 

REPORT

One of the game aspects of Ingress which has interested me from the beginning was field optimisation. Since the most AP is gained from creating a field, I became interested in making my linking efficient in order to create the maximum number of fields with a given set of keys. I've written a few tutorials on effective linking for my local faction (involving 4-7 portals), and the time has come to illustrate the principles on a massive scale - I aimed to create 100 control fields using as few links as possible. 

Over the period of a few weeks, I collected keys, and set out designing a way of linking them to give me the most number of fields. Since the action was heating up in town, I knew my window of opportunity was small - the last thing I wanted during my mission was for the enlightened to start destroying crucial links! I decided that I would execute my plan as soon as I had the necessary keys. 

The next day, a problem came from an unexpected quarter - NianticOps moved a misplaced portal I reported weeks before to the correct position. Luckily I could easily modify my linking plan to accommodate the change, but I reported several portals for deletion or repositioning at around the same time, so there was the risk that portals would be moved or deleted before I could start my mission - or worse, during my mission! I decided that Operation: Links for Africa must go ahead the next night. 

By morning, I still needed 4 keys for two specific portals to make my mission a reality. I started hacking early in the morning, burning out the portals, only to return to them four hours later in the hopes of obtaining the necessary keys. By 8pm that evening, I obtained three of the four keys. Without the last key, I could still go ahead with my plan, but I will be several fields short of my target. None of the other Resistance agents in town had a key for the portal, so I was stuck. I went back to the drawing board, trying to redesign the links so that the extra key wasn't necessary, but alas - the missing key was crucial. I decided to start anyway, hoping that they key would drop while I was busy. At 9pm I created my first link, and finished Stage 1 of Operation: Fields for Africa at 22:15. At stat stage, I needed the missing key, so I decided to wait until I could hack the portal again. This quiet time also served to test the Enlightenment's response to my new fields, but intel was dead quiet. 

At 00:42, I continued with my mission, and as luck would have it, the neccesary key dropped on my second hack! Then it was full steam ahead, linking as fast as I could. I had many links to make, with a fairly long drive to the most distant portal, and my eyelids were already starting to feel heavy... 

By 03:53 I made the final link, completing my 137th link and my 134th control field. I alerted my local faction, made a few screenshots for this report, and promptly headed home for some well-deserved sleep. 

If anyone else has managed to create more fields in a single mission, I would be very interested to hear about it. 


#IngressReport   #Resistance   #OperationFieldsForAfrica  Anne Beuttenmüller Joe Philley Ingress 







Comments

  1. Joe Philley When is Nigeria getting portals? I was in Lagos two weeks ago and there was XM but no portals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need people to add them...but let me see what I can do

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, guess its better for my location then Nigerias, but I gues when I finally get my invite code (whenever that may be :(  ), I first need some portals.

    Thing is I can only see ANY intel when I am in the game... coordinates for my area are 51.116219,9.114515

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog