17 - the number of days since I left DC and moved to Seattle.
Originally shared by Paul Liao (spliao)
17 - the number of days since I left DC and moved to Seattle.
72 - the number of hours prior to the DC Anomaly when I learned that I can fly back (standby) to participate.
4 - the number of clusters of PURE MADNESS.
TOO MANY - the number of ENL agents that got spliao'ed.
6 - the number of hours of dancing during the after party.
1 - helluva day in DC.
I want to begin by thanking all the people who worked so hard to make the event possible: Niantic Project, DMV Resistance and everyone who put in countless hours preparing and planning, and DMV Enlightenment for going head-to-head and making this event a nail-biter. There are just way too many people to tag if I were to name them all.
On Saturday, the war that raged in DC was beyond what I could have imagined and was a wild brawl right up to the last measurement. Our ground game - usually a trademark of our ENL counterpart - combined with amazing Intel from our “eyes in the sky” helped us overcome the impressive lead gained by the ENL thanks to their megafield that paralyzed everyone in cluster 1.
Having moved to the other side of the country, I have not been able to assist with any planning, and was concerned that I wouldn’t bring my “A game”. However, in the heat of the action, with Intel and other team leaders’ voices coming through my headset, I was able to get back in the groove. It felt like I had never left. Together, we worked hard and adapted to the situation to come out on top in a well-fought war. The Resistance's hard work really paid off!
As a token Team Leader of Team Sierra, I followed the real Boss Lady (Lindsey Boyle) and we mobilized our teammates around the outskirts of the Lincoln Memorial to support anyone who needed a hand. Kudos to the ENL- the megafield was an amazing feat that almost made me drop my phone. As the event went on, we combined forces with the mobile part of Team Foxtrot (led by Jessica Virginia Williams ) and Team C is for Cookies (Jennifer Reda). We received directions from our Intel and made strategic moves to cover as much ground as possible, with occasional frolicking down the National Mall. It was good to be back with my Drunk Hippos.
Coming back to DC to be with friends was an amazing experience in itself. On a whim, I decided to stay off the radar until Saturday. This was extremely difficult for me, because as those who know me will attest, I can hardly be quiet for more than 5 seconds. I had the privilege of brunching with Joe Philley and Kira Kroger on game day, so when the Joe shared photos with G+, my phone started blowing up from teammates who were excited by my surprise appearance. As the day progressed, I met up with more and more players and everyone reminded me that how wonderful and supportive the DMV Ingress Community is. After measurement 1 was taken, an ENL agent (whose identity I will omit here) spotted me walking towards him, both of our faces lit up with genuine joy as he had not expected to see me. XMPs were being fired around us but for 5 minutes we were friends that both respect and love the game and shared a manly, manly bear hug. During debriefing in Penn Social, I ran into more old and new faces from both sides, and the overwhelming love and support I received from everyone nearly brought tears to my eyes.
Thank you John Hanke and Niantic for #Ingress and the wonderful community it has brought us. We have worked hard since Day 1 to promote DC as a great Ingress town and on Saturday we accomplished that and more. It was an honor to finally meet the people that make it all happen. Joe Philley is even cooler than he comes across on G+, and Mike Quigley is one of the nicest people I met that day, even though he wore the wrong shirt. Brian Rose was instrumental to the success of our cross-faction Ingress Portal Hunt earlier this year so it was great to finally meet him in person. Finally, I would be remiss to not mention the lovely Yennie Solheim Fuller and Carlie Chiu for distributing swag and throwing a kickass party after the event, where the cross-faction dance-off went on for hours.
Everyone was a winner at the DC Anomaly for the strength and unity both factions displayed. I would be lying, though, if I didn’t say that the Resistance victory was especially sweet.
DMV Resistance: we brunch hard, play hard, and we party hard.
Paul/spliao
#DCAnomalySitRep
17 - the number of days since I left DC and moved to Seattle.
72 - the number of hours prior to the DC Anomaly when I learned that I can fly back (standby) to participate.
4 - the number of clusters of PURE MADNESS.
TOO MANY - the number of ENL agents that got spliao'ed.
6 - the number of hours of dancing during the after party.
1 - helluva day in DC.
I want to begin by thanking all the people who worked so hard to make the event possible: Niantic Project, DMV Resistance and everyone who put in countless hours preparing and planning, and DMV Enlightenment for going head-to-head and making this event a nail-biter. There are just way too many people to tag if I were to name them all.
On Saturday, the war that raged in DC was beyond what I could have imagined and was a wild brawl right up to the last measurement. Our ground game - usually a trademark of our ENL counterpart - combined with amazing Intel from our “eyes in the sky” helped us overcome the impressive lead gained by the ENL thanks to their megafield that paralyzed everyone in cluster 1.
Having moved to the other side of the country, I have not been able to assist with any planning, and was concerned that I wouldn’t bring my “A game”. However, in the heat of the action, with Intel and other team leaders’ voices coming through my headset, I was able to get back in the groove. It felt like I had never left. Together, we worked hard and adapted to the situation to come out on top in a well-fought war. The Resistance's hard work really paid off!
As a token Team Leader of Team Sierra, I followed the real Boss Lady (Lindsey Boyle) and we mobilized our teammates around the outskirts of the Lincoln Memorial to support anyone who needed a hand. Kudos to the ENL- the megafield was an amazing feat that almost made me drop my phone. As the event went on, we combined forces with the mobile part of Team Foxtrot (led by Jessica Virginia Williams ) and Team C is for Cookies (Jennifer Reda). We received directions from our Intel and made strategic moves to cover as much ground as possible, with occasional frolicking down the National Mall. It was good to be back with my Drunk Hippos.
Coming back to DC to be with friends was an amazing experience in itself. On a whim, I decided to stay off the radar until Saturday. This was extremely difficult for me, because as those who know me will attest, I can hardly be quiet for more than 5 seconds. I had the privilege of brunching with Joe Philley and Kira Kroger on game day, so when the Joe shared photos with G+, my phone started blowing up from teammates who were excited by my surprise appearance. As the day progressed, I met up with more and more players and everyone reminded me that how wonderful and supportive the DMV Ingress Community is. After measurement 1 was taken, an ENL agent (whose identity I will omit here) spotted me walking towards him, both of our faces lit up with genuine joy as he had not expected to see me. XMPs were being fired around us but for 5 minutes we were friends that both respect and love the game and shared a manly, manly bear hug. During debriefing in Penn Social, I ran into more old and new faces from both sides, and the overwhelming love and support I received from everyone nearly brought tears to my eyes.
Thank you John Hanke and Niantic for #Ingress and the wonderful community it has brought us. We have worked hard since Day 1 to promote DC as a great Ingress town and on Saturday we accomplished that and more. It was an honor to finally meet the people that make it all happen. Joe Philley is even cooler than he comes across on G+, and Mike Quigley is one of the nicest people I met that day, even though he wore the wrong shirt. Brian Rose was instrumental to the success of our cross-faction Ingress Portal Hunt earlier this year so it was great to finally meet him in person. Finally, I would be remiss to not mention the lovely Yennie Solheim Fuller and Carlie Chiu for distributing swag and throwing a kickass party after the event, where the cross-faction dance-off went on for hours.
Everyone was a winner at the DC Anomaly for the strength and unity both factions displayed. I would be lying, though, if I didn’t say that the Resistance victory was especially sweet.
DMV Resistance: we brunch hard, play hard, and we party hard.
Paul/spliao
#DCAnomalySitRep
Amazing day, glad I got to see you again!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to Seattle. How do you like it?
ReplyDeleteIt was nice to meet you Joe
ReplyDelete