August 13, 2013

Originally shared by Hank Johnson

August 13, 2013

Thomas Greanias,

I know I’d committed to get more to you, more quickly. Things are happening too fast. Big things. I don’t know what’s been leaked about #Cassandra and what is still under wraps. Just haven’t had time to keep up.  Suffice to say that this is huge. Things will not be the same after #Cassandra .  What way the change will go, I don’t know.  But please review the thread that began in Africa and worked through Cross Plains, the Magic Castle, #Bowstring , #TimeZero , #SaveKlue , #Voynich and #Minotaur .  My prose is more ragged than usual. Feel free to clean it up.   I might just try and dictate the rest on the way to #Cassandra .  

Nomads,

It would be best, at this point, if I glossed over events between leaving Carrie in Europe and Cross Plains. It is a matter of record now that I both visited some associates with whom you are familiar in Washington, D.C., as well as Misty Hannah out west before her extraordinary April 24th performance at the Magic Castle.  I will not comment on the events to led to the attempt on her life or where she went after the attack, because that is her story, not mine.  As of this writing, I have not been in contact with her in several weeks.

NOMAD DISPATCH #2
June 6, 2013
Cross Plains, Texas

Nobody winds up in Cross Plains, Texas, by accident.  You’re either drawn here or driven here by some cosmic force.  And if you’re actually born here, then that’s no accident either.

As fate would have it, and she always seems to have her way with me, I’m here at the Brownwood Cemetery in time for “Robert E. Howard Days,” a festival held yearly to coincide with the anniversary of the horror writer’s death.  And it is the way Howard died, or rather the madness that consumed him just before, that prompted my friend and semiotician Carrie Campbell to investigate Howard’s correspondence with his fellow pulp writer and pen-pal Howard Phillips Lovecraft most often known as H.P. Lovecraft.  Specifically, she thinks I might find a clue that confirms their exposure to the ancient Shaper glyphs I’ve been investigating ever since I first saw them when I was exposed to Dark XM with my pal astro-archaeologist Conrad Yeats beneath the Luizi Crater in the Congo. 

Carrie’s theory is that similar glyphs to what I saw may have set off Howard and Lovecraft on their horrific descent to death.  By inference, of course, I, too, may be on a similar path, which explains my obsession beyond a thirst for answers.  Especially with Dr. Martin Schubert’s pending release of his investigations on the still unknown but potent short-term and long-term effects of XM on people ( http://goo.gl/uKaU40 ), along with brain scans from U.S. researchers that look like green-and-blue XM scans and hint at an “electrical surge” of neurological activity shortly before death.

Could Howard and Lovecraft both have experienced that surge in the form of madness?  Did their exposure to Shaper glyphs enhance their literary creativity—or possibly trigger their madness before they died?  And could I suffer the same fate?

I have to find out.

Howard is most famous for creating “Conan the Barbarian,” “Red Sonja,” “Solomon Kane” and “Borak” for the pulp magazines, most notably “Weird Tales” in the late 20’s and 30’s.  But it’s not those stories that interest me now, but rather his lesser known horror tales:  “The Black Stone,” “The Stone Man,” “The Cairn on the Headland,” "The Children of the Night," "The Fire of Asshurbanipal,” “The Dark Man,” and the “Valley of the Lost.”  These stories are his tales that overlap with the interests of H.P. Lovecraft.

While the official story is that the Cthulhu Mythos and the Necronomicon are flights of fancy cobbled together by Lovecraft, and that later on Howard jumped in on the fun, I suspect that the truth is a little darker.  Okay, I more than suspect it. Carrie tipped me off, and she is certain. I think that Lovecraft had access to books in the ancient glyphic language, or had come upon them in his occult research, and for one reason or another he concealed his true source, fictionalizing it as the Necronomicon.  But Lovecraft’s search for evidence of the ancient writings and their meaning is very real.
And so is mine.

June 7

Caught a huge break today here at “Howard Days” in Cross Plains.  

A source has given me access to the lost letters between Howard and Lovecraft that I’ve been searching for.  My search for them at the local library and museum came up dry.  But my benefactor told me the letters were discovered during maintenance at the Howard home, as if Howard or surviving family members had hidden them.  But I can only speculate on that.  In any case, the letters confirm my suspicion that Howard was enlisted in his Shaper quest by Lovecraft, in the same way I myself have been by Carrie Campbell .

June 8

According to the lost letters, (http://goo.gl/SPKTdW | http://goo.gl/yGs6J2 | http://goo.gl/8uubRd | http://goo.gl/e9SQGH | http://goo.gl/2f5dMd | http://goo.gl/izKALV | http://goo.gl/JT2Q18 ) shortly before his death by suicide, Robert Howard went in search of the fabled San Saba mine. 

And now so must I.

So when I get a chance later on, I’ll put together a full report on the letters.  Some of my time in Cross Plains is already documented ( http://goo.gl/BpExgt ), and I’ll plug in more details after my investigation of the supernova-like Anomaly #Cassandra arriving later this summer, assuming I’m still around.  The other thing I look forward to researching is local legend and 19th century pioneer, smuggler and slave trader Jim Bowie and his tangential connection to the lost mine and what secrets he might have taken to the grave with him.  His narrative, in and of itself, is full of possibilities, not the least of which is that he might have encountered the builders of the massive underground structure that I discovered, almost by accident, while fleeing Strategic Explorations assassins.  More on that when I get a chance, if I get the chance.

So far my most fascinating discovery at Cross Plains, besides the lost letters, is a gigantic Shaper symbol that mysteriously appeared in the yard of the Howard House at some point in the night after I arrived.  The origin of the symbol is unknown, and it disappeared as suddenly as it came, but I now see that it is recorded on Google Earth for posterity. ( http://goo.gl/z2CZOQ )  While most here at Howard Days have written it off as a prank, I can’t; that symbol, until now, was known to nobody but me and Carrie Campbell.  I can only wonder if it was telepathically transmitted to the pranksters or spontaneously appeared from an unknown source.

Night is falling across Cross Plains, and the storm clouds are gathering.  I’m setting out to find the San Saba mine and hopefully the dark secret that drove Robert E. Howard to his final madness and suicide.  My next installment—or not—will prove whether  I’ve lived another day to tell another tale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog