How broken is it? If it's cracked but working you can patch it up with epoxy to avoid moisture or pieces falling out. I've used epoxy on my GN since Samsung doesn't repair the screens any longer. It looks a bit ugly when off, but it's transparent and all but disappears from view when you turn it on.
Plug a wireless keyboard / mouse receiver into a usb converter into the nexus 7. Voila. You now can access your files and apps and effect a backup without using the touchscreen digitizer. As for replacement, its totally possible, the screens are available online, but you will need to buy the digitizer as well as the screen if the touch function is broke. Nearly cheaper to replace the whole unit when you take into account down time, parts and delivery costs. Depending on the unit you have and what is available online, you could always buy the cheapest Nexus 7 from the Play store and use the screen from that if yours is, say, the 3g version.
Replacing the whole LCD/glass/digitizer is fairly easy. Replacing just the glass/digitizer can save you money if the LCD itself isn't damaged, but it's a PITA
Dude! I had the same thing happen to me, I weighed my options and purchased the new version. Its got an awesome screen and stereo speakers. It took some getting used to. I must say I still want to get the old one fixed.... I tried to find a domestic distributior for the lcd/touch screen digitizer combo but had troubles. After getting the part I would be unsure how well the repair would be done. The part was at least $75 from an online source. ASUS wants anywhere from $130 - 250 for a like repair. Good luck sir, I feel for you having been there not too long ago myself.
Joe Philley I had the same problem. Cheapest fix for a 2012 model is to buy a used model on EBay, watch a YouTube instructional video, take off the working screen, then swap it for the broken screen. Not too hard, but not easy if you don't have little screwdrivers and a little familiarity with that kind of thing.
To get files of of it, connect the USB between the device and your computer, then copy and paste the files onto your desktop.
Ultimately I decided to wait and get the new (2013) nexus 7. Getting the new model was money better spent.
Unfortunately or fortunately the cost of repair is so close to the cost of replace its not worth fixing. One option is replace and get a USB to go or blue tooth to add a mouse to use it still
I bought a cracked Nexus 7 on eBay with intentions to replace the digitizer and screen. I received the tablet and the crack is literally about 1mm from the digitizer so it still works. It's like winning the lottery!
Back to the point since the tablet worked I never got the chance to attempt to fox the screen. Back then it was cheaper to buy a new device. Not sure about nowadays.
I do wonder if the 2013 version has the same issue where the digitizer and screen are so joined a smashed screen could bust the digitizer. I had my first one bust and I could have lived with the busted screen if the screen was still usable! ;-)
"Despite the fact that we all know the risks involved, I am convinced that we should continue to investigate the value of high-dose-XM research." "We should view 'Epiphany Night' not as a crisis, but a tremendous opportunity." Dr. Victor Kureze, in an email last week. -PAC #ingress http://www.nianticproject.com http://www.nianticproject.com
Another shootout with rogue agents aye, walkaway Joe?
ReplyDeleteHow broken is it? If it's cracked but working you can patch it up with epoxy to avoid moisture or pieces falling out. I've used epoxy on my GN since Samsung doesn't repair the screens any longer. It looks a bit ugly when off, but it's transparent and all but disappears from view when you turn it on.
ReplyDeleteI sent mine in for repairs. Cost $150 plus shipping and took damn near a month.
ReplyDeleteOn top of that, they ruined the GPS and HSPA+ antennas.
2012 or 2013?
ReplyDeleteJan Moren cracked and won't work :(
ReplyDeleteAaron Blecher I think its a 2012
ReplyDeleteJoe Philley If you feel comfortable replacing things like this you can do it.. That's how I feel..
ReplyDeleteI can replace it free of charge if you'd like.. =)
ReplyDeleteJoe Philley great excuse to buy the new nexus then
ReplyDeleteI'd buy a new one, but here's a video:
ReplyDeleteHow to replace a cracked Nexus 7 screen and digitizer
Offer up some passcodes, you'll have your repair in no time :-D
ReplyDeletePlug a wireless keyboard / mouse receiver into a usb converter into the nexus 7. Voila. You now can access your files and apps and effect a backup without using the touchscreen digitizer. As for replacement, its totally possible, the screens are available online, but you will need to buy the digitizer as well as the screen if the touch function is broke. Nearly cheaper to replace the whole unit when you take into account down time, parts and delivery costs. Depending on the unit you have and what is available online, you could always buy the cheapest Nexus 7 from the Play store and use the screen from that if yours is, say, the 3g version.
ReplyDeleteReplacing the whole LCD/glass/digitizer is fairly easy. Replacing just the glass/digitizer can save you money if the LCD itself isn't damaged, but it's a PITA
ReplyDeleteDude! I had the same thing happen to me, I weighed my options and purchased the new version. Its got an awesome screen and stereo speakers. It took some getting used to. I must say I still want to get the old one fixed.... I tried to find a domestic distributior for the lcd/touch screen digitizer combo but had troubles. After getting the part I would be unsure how well the repair would be done. The part was at least $75 from an online source. ASUS wants anywhere from $130 - 250 for a like repair. Good luck sir, I feel for you having been there not too long ago myself.
ReplyDeleteYou can snag the lcd/glass/digitizer combo from China for like $50, glass/digitizer for $30.
ReplyDeleteRip out broke screen, check model, buy model and cross fingers*..
ReplyDelete*skill
Joe Philley I had the same problem. Cheapest fix for a 2012 model is to buy a used model on EBay, watch a YouTube instructional video, take off the working screen, then swap it for the broken screen. Not too hard, but not easy if you don't have little screwdrivers and a little familiarity with that kind of thing.
ReplyDeleteTo get files of of it, connect the USB between the device and your computer, then copy and paste the files onto your desktop.
Ultimately I decided to wait and get the new (2013) nexus 7. Getting the new model was money better spent.
Unfortunately or fortunately the cost of repair is so close to the cost of replace its not worth fixing. One option is replace and get a USB to go or blue tooth to add a mouse to use it still
ReplyDeleteJoe Philley Also, this, http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57593573-285/turn-a-cracked-nexus-7-into-an-e-book-reader/
ReplyDeleteI bought a cracked Nexus 7 on eBay with intentions to replace the digitizer and screen. I received the tablet and the crack is literally about 1mm from the digitizer so it still works. It's like winning the lottery!
ReplyDeleteBack to the point since the tablet worked I never got the chance to attempt to fox the screen. Back then it was cheaper to buy a new device. Not sure about nowadays.
Same thing happened to me but because of the cost of the screen, I also just decided to buy another.
ReplyDeleteI do wonder if the 2013 version has the same issue where the digitizer and screen are so joined a smashed screen could bust the digitizer. I had my first one bust and I could have lived with the busted screen if the screen was still usable! ;-)
ReplyDelete