Tip of the Week: Portal Appeals

Originally shared by NIA Ops

Tip of the Week: Portal Appeals

Over the past several weeks, we’ve been handling #PortalAppeals via Google+. This allows the community to weigh in on what submissions become Portals, and it also allows us to reverse any decision that may have been made without local context or sufficient information.

We have received quite a few questions on how the #PortalAppeals process works, so we thought we would share our recommendations for getting a fast response and provide some insight into the process: 

1) For the fastest response from +NIAOps, post to the Portal Appeals section of the Ingress community.
2) Public posts take precedence over posts shared privately with +NIAOps.
3) We do our best to approve cool and unique Portals, but sometimes, we don’t have local context. Your best bet is to use the description field to share why the Portal is unique - this information is helpful for us to make an informed decision and interesting for agents to read once the Portal is accepted.
4) Including the following in your post really helps us out : 
   a) A photo of the submission in question (required)
   b) approximate location, either lat/long or street address (required)
   c) reason for appeal (including details like whether or not you included a description, the title you submitted, date submitted/rejected or any other information you’d like to share - these things are optional, but often helpful).
5) Your opinions matter, please share them! We often use the comments, especially if they are from locals who are familiar with the community in which the Portal was submitted, for additional information or to sway our decisions. 
6) Listen to the community; while we may not have time to personally reply to every post, please note that we do read every post that is shared with us. Other Agents often correctly explain why a decision was made, and in these cases, we will sometimes just +1 comments vs. providing our own.
7) Please don’t use Portal Appeals as an alternative to submitting via your Scanner. If you’re trying to report a Portal as invalid, duplicate or in the wrong location and you have not already done so, please use your Scanner.

Comments

  1. Glad to see this. Every single portal I have taken the time to type up an in-depth description of, drawing on intimate local knowledge or earned education has been rejected - without exception. I decided that I am no longer going to spend half an hour or more standing there typing up a portal summary (spellchecking and so on) just to have it rejected.

    What I have taken to doing is (now that a key is issued on portal going live) going back to the portal and typing in that description if it gets accepted.

    I do fill in the description field, but with not much more then the portal title. After evaluating all that wasted time and effort, what it came down to is the decision to bring something cool to the attention of those behind the game we love, but refrain from investing all that extra effort up front to what amounted (categorically) to a fruitless endeavor.

    Now that there is an appeals process - maybe I will consider investing some more time up front to share my knowledge with the gaming community from the get-go.

    Don't get me wrong - I am not complaining, just explaining a coping mechanism in dealing with the reality around and expressing my excitement at possibly mitigating the need for such, given this news.

    Thanks for all the hard work and it's been a wonderful ride so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travis Smith  I also have found that if I put any description it is an immediate kiss of death. I have had only one with a description ever accepted.... it was "The Big Dam Store" ... the description: "The Big Dam Store on the Dam Road"... snort

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only problem I have with this process is that the last time I weighed in on one of those threads to provide information that was contrary to what the person making the appeal was saying all my comments got deleted. They got their bogus portal undeleted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like in my neighborhood. There are two Ebenezer churches. One is the orginal church. The other is called the king center. I have submitted cotrections over 10 times. The correct address for the visitor center is 450 Auburn ave. Not 70 Boulevard which is a closed building with a unsafe parking lot. I have submitted this change 6 times. I am more than willing to show them in the map they hand out in the vistor center. For correct alignment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog