This is one of the best #Ingress stories I've hear in a while ! I owe that guy a drink!
This is one of the best #Ingress stories I've hear in a while ! I owe that guy a drink!
Originally shared by Lonnie G (JesusGeek)
OK, so I thought I'd share my ingress story. I know it's been on the news but for those that don't know Atlanta was hit with a rather unusual, for ATL, winter storm Tuesday.
I left work early, like many people, in an effort to make it home before it for worse. I left at 3:15pm to make my daily 70 mile, one way, trek home. After being on the road for almost 6 hours, with 25 miles to go, and having only moved 1/4 mile in the past hour I decided to take a detour. That was a mistake, Waze took me around the traffic but since it doesn't account for hills in the icy conditions I wound up stuck on the side of the road after having hit ice on the top of the hill. I turned into the slide and was luckily able to maneuver the car to a stop facing the top of the hill. I can't say the other 10 vehicles that apparently took the same detour were add luckily as I was, no damage to my car.
After calling a few tow companies to find out that no one was getting out until morning I had resigned myself to the fact I would be spending the night in my car.
So as a last resort I posted into the local Ingress hangout for the area I was currently in, asking if anyone knew of a tow truck that may still come out. After sharing my then current location we figured out that I was only a few miles from one of our other Resistance teammates home.
Not only did he brave the icy conditions to come pick me up and gave me a place to stay for the night, but also drove me to the store for road salt and borrowed shovels from his father to help me melt and scape the ice from the road to allow me to drive my car back up the hill to safety.
I am regularly amazed by the community that has developed around this game. In my situation I had offers for help from multiple people but in the end Harry was the closest to me. Even though we had never actually met in person, only spoken in comm and hangouts, he opened his home to me in a time of need and was a gracious host and an amazing help. If it had not been for this game I would have had to spend the night in my car and likely ran out of gas before morning as well.
So on behalf of myself and my wife and children who were worried about me, thank you Haralambos Mavromatidis for your assistance and Ingress for providing the opportunity
#ATLSnowmagedon2014
Originally shared by Lonnie G (JesusGeek)
OK, so I thought I'd share my ingress story. I know it's been on the news but for those that don't know Atlanta was hit with a rather unusual, for ATL, winter storm Tuesday.
I left work early, like many people, in an effort to make it home before it for worse. I left at 3:15pm to make my daily 70 mile, one way, trek home. After being on the road for almost 6 hours, with 25 miles to go, and having only moved 1/4 mile in the past hour I decided to take a detour. That was a mistake, Waze took me around the traffic but since it doesn't account for hills in the icy conditions I wound up stuck on the side of the road after having hit ice on the top of the hill. I turned into the slide and was luckily able to maneuver the car to a stop facing the top of the hill. I can't say the other 10 vehicles that apparently took the same detour were add luckily as I was, no damage to my car.
After calling a few tow companies to find out that no one was getting out until morning I had resigned myself to the fact I would be spending the night in my car.
So as a last resort I posted into the local Ingress hangout for the area I was currently in, asking if anyone knew of a tow truck that may still come out. After sharing my then current location we figured out that I was only a few miles from one of our other Resistance teammates home.
Not only did he brave the icy conditions to come pick me up and gave me a place to stay for the night, but also drove me to the store for road salt and borrowed shovels from his father to help me melt and scape the ice from the road to allow me to drive my car back up the hill to safety.
I am regularly amazed by the community that has developed around this game. In my situation I had offers for help from multiple people but in the end Harry was the closest to me. Even though we had never actually met in person, only spoken in comm and hangouts, he opened his home to me in a time of need and was a gracious host and an amazing help. If it had not been for this game I would have had to spend the night in my car and likely ran out of gas before morning as well.
So on behalf of myself and my wife and children who were worried about me, thank you Haralambos Mavromatidis for your assistance and Ingress for providing the opportunity
#ATLSnowmagedon2014
Hothlanta Happens.
ReplyDeleteJoe Philley, next time your in Atlanta ask about the awesome heritage bacon we had for breakfast too :)
ReplyDeleteOh yeah?! You haven't heard my story of getting attacked with a bag of Wendy's by a hot yet crazy chick while ingressing
ReplyDeleteWeird shit always happen to me while ingressing