so normal hacking gets you 2 items and anything more is a "bonus"? So I have to learn like 40 glyphs to get good hacks? I might as well have learned the periodic table. Not a big deal to a Google campus full of kids who do that anyways.
I get the mini game concept. But it seems like for the mini game to pay off or be an incentive, normal hacking is now "light" hacking. This is at the expense of the casual exercise gamer. Subtle, yet a line in the sand nonetheless. Joe Philley what do you think your cohorts would feel about memorizing a new language like glyphs or Klingon just to play this game with out feeling inferior or like "nuts to this". Where is that fine line? I always am bias, but I ask out loud anyways.
B. Williams You don't really have to memorize anything. You remember what it shows you for a few seconds. I just went out and tried it and it was fun. It usually showed me 3 glyphs but once I got 4. It was challenging, but every time I got at least one right I got bonus items. Of course you don't have to play, you can always just hack like normal. I don't see how normal hacking gets you any less items than it did before.
Other than some items being labeled as bonus, I can't tell the difference in the hacks. I got a bonus common shield once. Can't wait to get that bonus link amp. It's kind of like listening to a shaper commercial to get a chance at a prize, I expect one will tell me to drink ovaltine soon.
Phil Nolan the number of glyphs is depending on the level of the portal you hack. For L8 portals it is supposed to 5. I haven't tried it out myself yet.
"Despite the fact that we all know the risks involved, I am convinced that we should continue to investigate the value of high-dose-XM research." "We should view 'Epiphany Night' not as a crisis, but a tremendous opportunity." Dr. Victor Kureze, in an email last week. -PAC #ingress http://www.nianticproject.com http://www.nianticproject.com
I wanna play the game too!
ReplyDeleteWhat is this "bonus"? does it alter the power cube? Am I looking at this wrong?
ReplyDeleteB. Williams It's an extra item.
ReplyDeleteso normal hacking gets you 2 items and anything more is a "bonus"? So I have to learn like 40 glyphs to get good hacks? I might as well have learned the periodic table. Not a big deal to a Google campus full of kids who do that anyways.
ReplyDeleteB. Williams I haven't tried it yet but as I understand it they show you 3 glyphs which you have memorize and repeat, kind of like a game a Simon.
ReplyDeleteI get the mini game concept. But it seems like for the mini game to pay off or be an incentive, normal hacking is now "light" hacking. This is at the expense of the casual exercise gamer. Subtle, yet a line in the sand nonetheless. Joe Philley what do you think your cohorts would feel about memorizing a new language like glyphs or Klingon just to play this game with out feeling inferior or like "nuts to this". Where is that fine line? I always am bias, but I ask out loud anyways.
ReplyDeleteB. Williams You don't really have to memorize anything. You remember what it shows you for a few seconds. I just went out and tried it and it was fun. It usually showed me 3 glyphs but once I got 4. It was challenging, but every time I got at least one right I got bonus items. Of course you don't have to play, you can always just hack like normal. I don't see how normal hacking gets you any less items than it did before.
ReplyDeleteOther than some items being labeled as bonus, I can't tell the difference in the hacks. I got a bonus common shield once. Can't wait to get that bonus link amp. It's kind of like listening to a shaper commercial to get a chance at a prize, I expect one will tell me to drink ovaltine soon.
ReplyDeleteYou are far quicker just farming at the mo...
ReplyDeleteIt is a fine way to pass the time between hacks if you happen to find a spot with 2 or 3 accessible portals.
ReplyDeletePhil Nolan the number of glyphs is depending on the level of the portal you hack. For L8 portals it is supposed to 5. I haven't tried it out myself yet.
ReplyDeleteAndreas Stenberg Oh I see I think the one I hit that gave me 4 was an L7 portal.
ReplyDeletePhil Nolan Here is the full story incl table over the numbers for different level portals.
ReplyDeletehttp://decodeingress.me/2014/02/19/scanner-v1-45-3-update
Andreas Stenberg That's actually where I downloaded it from. I was just lazy about reading the details. lol
ReplyDelete