Love the name!

Love the name!

Originally shared by Jenn B

The Red Queen’s Gambit

Tl;Dr:  
7 Layers anchored in Big Bend National Park, Texas, Dunsmuir, CA, and South Point, Hawaii. Each layer approximately 32 Million MU. 
4 Layers anchored in Dunsmuir, CA, South Point, and various portals in Kauai. Each layer approximately 855K MU. 
Covered 5 global cells (4 normal, 1 volatile) and 1 volatile anomaly connected cell.
More than 70 agents involved. 

The architect: 
@thrakazog

The Planner: 
Jennifer Barry (@teenyhedgehog)

Inspirational Speech: 
Brandon Downey  (@d0gboy)(also he had some keys :P) 

Key movers:
@MrK3nt
@datawizard
@teenyhedgehog
@malvista

Operators:

Lead: 
Christy Kidd  (@BlameCanada) 

Lane Operators: 
@Maesteromni 
Dustin Harwood  (@caeles) 
@kc007 
Ben Kema (California) 
Rodney Basconcillo  (Hawaii)
@MissUva(mexico) 
Dane H @quandonio(Texas/New Mexico)
+John Paul @johnpauil(Hawaii) 
@Scorptivas
Jennifer Pisano  (@jencyberchic)(Arizona) 
@jmaverick(Arizona)
@mavswfy(Arizona) 
@camon(Arizona) 

Comic Relief and team drunk:
Dustin Harwood  (@caeles) 

In Big Bend:
@Puxtopper 
@Sepren

Link Throwers - Dunsmuir, CA:
@malvista
Christopher Lew  (@aznpandafood) 
David Tourtillott  (@yurdle) 
Victoria Tourtillott  (@unspeakable) 
@MrK3nt
@atech8700
@LJBusekrus
@lilsebastian
@teenyhedgehog

Link Throwers - Hawaii:
@rightsock
@tealsock

Lane Clerarers (the unsung heros):

California: 
@Alias5056
@godless1 

Nevada:
@indiehi1
@SunDive
Rene Knaphus  (@UtahJayhawk)
@FreeRadicalSLC
@queengoldfield 
Jesse Guest  (@lightening43)
@isoniazid
@Blackwasp
@Cleaver

Arizona:
@papifrank
@sango
@momba
@papatim
@Ragnarokkr

New Mexico:
 Shaun Hadfield (@WhySoSyrrus)
@mfalex
@MFLF
@MidgtExicutionr
@quandonio
@Salixa

Texas:
@Snivek
@Ancietus
@Echappe81
@ArabicaFrappe
@LayingOutSmurfs
@MDeK
@MAGICVAPES
@Chingonorig
@kappaYOSHIsigma
@KISSMYX

Mexico: 
@jcmorales
@rbnM10
@DCharlott
@NetToxic

Hawaii:
@RaincoatNinja 
@Chibaeki123
+tiara v. (@MissMidoriko)
@skyblade7
@haynsupaman 
@AGrowingPain
@Nishi808
@TheSneak
@Nova45


The Story: 

~Gambit (noun): a planned series of moves at the beginning of a game of chess
: something done or said in order to gain an advantage or to produce a desired result.
:a calculated move.~

To some I’m known as teeny, to others the hedgehog. But to a handful of people, the nickname assigned to me by @dulceEt is preferred: The Red Queen. 

We knew if we wanted to have a chance at winning the various connected cells and the global cell competition, we had to do something big. From that knowledge, the Red Queen’s Gambit was born.

On Monday (11/10) Thrakazog  suggested an idea: what if we cover 6 connected cells at once? We started discussing possible anchors and I got excited to use the little town of Dunsmuir, CA as our layering point. I had visited that town earlier in the year and saw the layering potential at that time. Thankfully, so had Trocar  and @morningstarr(thanks guys! :P). They submitted several new portals, making the layering that much better. We settled on Hawaii and Big Bend, Texas as our other anchors, but weren’t really sure this could happen.

On Tuesday we discussed it a little more – the very first hurdle was figuring out if we had the keys, or could get the keys to do enough layers to make a difference. We started asking around about keys. Brandon Downey  said to me “hey Jennifer, does this mean you want run this field?” I responded, “I mean, ‘want’ is a strong word.” The truth was, I was terrified of it being a disaster. Who could put together a field like this in a few days? I had run a winning anomaly in a blue city, I had designed huge fields, but I had never run a multistate field. I had never asked people to do the extraordinary – to put faith in me that I would be able to deliver. At least not on this large of a scale, and not with this little notice. By the end of Tuesday the field was still a what if. We weren’t sure we had the right number of keys in the right places.

On Wednesday we realized we could have the correct number of Big Bend keys in hand by Friday. Fortunately MrKent Won  was visiting. “Hey Kent, I would like to kidnap you, take you to a tiny town in the most northern part of California, and have you throw a layer of a huge field.” In true ENL form he said “sure!”  At this point we estimated 20-25 million MU per layer. Not surprisingly, it wasn’t difficult to find people who were interested in coming. Hawaii keys were a bit of a snag, we missed the courier who could have taken Big Bend Keys to our original anchor, so Thrakazog  identified a new anchor, and we began working off of that. By midday Wednesday there was no stopping the momentum – hangouts were being started, pitches were being made, people were agreeing to trust me that the crazy idea we had would work. I have a very good poker face over the internet.

On Thursday I thought of nothing but the field. I crawled and recrawled the lanes, asked for help in every way I could. Midday I got a messaged from John Hyrne  – Hawaii could move the Big Bend keys in time. I got to redrawing the lanes moving the CA anchors, and changing the plan back to the original, or close to it.

Friday, 11/14/14 might have been one of the most hectic and stressful days I’ve had of all the days I have played Ingress. There were a number of times I thought, “well that’s it. There’s no way.” Only to have someone be willing to drive 6 hrs to get a blocker for me. Somehow a number of awesome people were willing to drop everything they had planned for a Friday night to spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere for this field. It had to happen.

A couple of hours before throw time the lanes began to clear up – we were too efficient - and I feared they would be spotted. Surely one of the big Resistance fielders (William Olsen  perhaps?)  would be watching – they would see what we were up to, it would all be for nothing. But no one noticed, no new blockers came up, and the rest of the lanes slowly opened enough to thread the needle through. 

Saturday 12:15am: Those last few seconds before throwing a large field feel like eternity. The operators went silent, the car I was in, silent. No one said a word. Until “east lane clear, go ahead with linking” What followed was a flurry of links and fields, each one a little bigger than the last. We realized these fields were much bigger than we estimated - 32 million MU per layer. 

And then Christy Kidd  said “I’m getting ‘oops, something went wrong.’” Despite this, she was able to guide us through the last few fields, and our layers over Maui. I would still point out that #intelisnotacrime , and we could have done without losing our main operator before the first field even rendered on the map. 

In the final moments before check point we threw links as quickly as possible to each of the portals on Kauai to cover the Maui cell. “50 seconds to checkpoint” “40.” “10 seconds” “Checkpoint.” Somehow we had pulled off the impossible. 

I didn’t do this - it was every one of the other 70 other agents who made this happen. Without each one of them this would have been nothing but a field Thrakazog  and I spitballed over for a few days before shelving for another time. Thank you all so, so, so much.  I’m not going to lie, I got a little misty eyed over this. :)

~At the request of Charles B malvista  this is an After Action Report (AAR) and not a SitRep. ;) ~ 

#ingress   #goodtobegreen   #ingressyeartwo   #enlightened   #darsana   #redqueensgambit   #cellcheck   #shellcheck  
Joe Philley Brian Rose Brandon Badger Ingress 














Comments

Popular posts from this blog