Take a few for a good read.

Take a few for a good read.
Originally shared by Sennokawa Comics
My name is Aarron, and this is me.
I wanted to initiate a project, just a small one. The “This is Me movement” ( #thisisme )
It is about reminding people to take the time to see things from different perspectives before making decisions. In this case, about gaining other peoples perspectives to aid you in the way you think about your fellow team mates, and maybe even your adversaries. I want everyone to be able to remind each other we are all just humans, sharing this big ole earth and that we probably even share some of the same problems.
So fair being fair, I will start us off. The idea here being to share about yourself the things that you think make you who you are, as little or as much as you think. Then share it with as many or as few as you like, public or private, just whomever you think needs to see this to understand you better. One of the things ingress has helped me with is opening up, so here’s back atcha as a thank you. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask me, from anything from questions about what you’re about to read, to help on writing your own.
Feel free to use our hash tag #thisisme
I have been an ingressor almost a year now, and have been everywhere from a lowly L1 to international Intel Operations. I have planned an anomaly, fielded a city and enjoyed being a key part of organising Auckland RE into our record amount of cycles won.
But behind the scanner, I am Ary, and this is me.
I’m pretty recently married, my wife joined ingress with the iOS release after hating on the game a while for Interitus stealing me for a week. We only decided to get married after marching in support of the marriage equality bill to get passed in Wellington. We stand strongly on equality, especially where that was concerned with Mandy being openly Bisexual, and myself recently figuring I am Pan. We had a sweet lil family with our cat Bang, unfortunately she died on Xmas eve and so has been a very sad time for us. The RE were wonderful in their support though, making sure to keep us company even though it was Xmas day.
Sennokawa is not my real last name (ahaha) it was given to me by my dear friend Jason, japanese origin meaning a thousand rivers, so given for my philosophy around how to overcome the Auckland EN. He passed away last year and I have been searching for ways to honor this wonderful man that left us. Taking that was one of them, and I will be getting his ingress Avatar tattoed on my forearm very soon. Oh and btw, DraconemIgnis.. that’s a capital i, and it is Latin for Dragon fire. I apologise for my terrible 4am name choice, haha.
I speak fluent Japanese and Portuguese, I am learning as much as I can of Latin, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Chinese and a tiny bit of Korean. I love writing, am currently 60K words into my first novel, and have an anthology of short stories around. I also paint (terribly and not often) and try out carpentry where I can. I love drawing and turned my little family into a comic series, hit me up if you want a link to them sometime.
For work I am a Chef by trade, now a Retail Culinary specialist, meaning I try to ply my knowledge for the world of food in everything from Cafe and menu design, to new innovations and staff training over Auckland. Before becoming a that though, I competed sometimes, winning several gold medals at the Culinary fare, National runner up Apprentice of the Year, creating a metro Top 50 restaurant and several awards from the Monteiths food challenges over the years. I had opportunity to be on a few foodie shows too, but turned them down as I was not sure I wanted what fame brought, especially in NZ (tall poppy syndrome) end of the day I am terrified of what people think of me, and so something like this is particularly scary. For me food has been about bringing people together, something I have done in ingress a lot. Whether it be with my famous brownies or one of the many gatherings at my house, it has beeen about bringing people together. I think this has been one of our strengths as a team too, that we are reminded often that we are all just people through taking the time to hang out with each other.
Food has always helped bring people to the table, and so is a tool I use readily to get people to engage each other.
I have something called synesthesia, it is an interesting thing, and has many variations. For me it is the translations of emotions into colours. So if I am focused I find it super easy to read people, more specifically I see it as a kind of aural thing inside my head. I don’t normally talk about it much as it starts of people asking “what are my colours”. I’ve only met one other person that does this too, now proud to be her best friend.
I had a pretty serious car crash when I was younger too, on my way to see a friend. A young driver on a learner permit stole his mother’s car for a joyride and hit me doing over 90km in a 50km zone down Mt Smart. He hit me so hard I bounced off and hit the car in front before he came back to hit me again. I walked away from the accident, not actually knowing at the time I had 3 broken ribs, a fractured hip bone and minor head trauma that now gives me a tick in my hands that makes them tense from time to time. I ended up in hospital when the pain got too much (such a bloke) and till today it gives me some grief if I over work the leg, so has meant needing a cane from time to time (so if you ever see that y’all know)
I also suffer from something called PTSD, it is a mental illness that affects people who have suffered a trauma, and their brain won’t let it go. It means certain things may trigger me into states where I might seem spaced out, or downright mad (I have a mean resting bitch face) It’s pretty okay most of the time, 10 years has been a long time to heal. Knowing that loneliness of being trapped in your own brain is a part of my drive to always lend an ear, or to pay attention to the signs people need to get a load of their chest. It is what drives me to wanting everyone included. So yes I might come of as little manic, but know it comes from a good place.
I also have a minor version of epilepsy called Petit mal seizures.
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/absence-seizures
Luckily these days they are few and far between.
All this has actually left me with a pretty good sense of humour, which is why you rarely see me being seriously. I have learnt life is just too short not to have a laugh or a good bit of fun.
Knowing I can get through the stuff I did, I always have an optimism for people going through strife. Part of Ingress helping me was meeting some truly wonderful people, and a special hang out for community supporters of those with Mental Illness. Please let Alana Duckett or myself know if you would like to be a part of this btw, it is very hush hush if you need it to be. I am only putting myself out here to help others and make sure they have the chance for help too.
I leave you with what a friend wrote to me recently as I was going through some strife: “Ary, your love is our glue, without you we would be nothing but pieces. When we break, you pick up our pieces, and put us back together with love. No matter how difficult, you are always there to catch us when we fall. Through your love an amazing group of people together have come to know each other. All connected because of you, because you believed in us enough to mend us, not disregard us as broken people. So it's time for you to let us pick up your pieces and use our love to put you back together. You have brought us together, and we are here to support each other, just like you have shown us. Please let us help you. Together we are strong enough to support you ”
Opening up lead me to this level of support.
I shared this to help you see that for me this IS more than just a game. Y’all are my family, and I’ve got your back. Thank you for having mine too.
Comments
Post a Comment