Misplaced Portal & An Ingress Mini-Adventure

Misplaced Portal & An Ingress Mini-Adventure

During the early days of Ingress, portals were scarce and rare in Malaysia, especially in Georgetown, Penang. Being a lowly level 3 agent at that time (January 2013), capturing portals and linking them were vital to move up the rank. After checking the intel map, I proceeded to capture most of the portals in the city thanks to ammunition provided by Adrian Goh Han Wee.

The ones in the city center were easy enough to locate, but there was one misplaced portal at Mount Erskine which was well off the beaten path. That's how my little adventure started. 

After parking my car by the side of a dirt road, I followed the scanner's direction to locate the portal. I was thinking the location must be wrong when all I could see were graves around me. I was in a cemetery. And the directions from the scanner had me tiptoeing, literally, over the graves of the dead and buried because the graveyard was not well managed and there was no walking path.

I was really glad that it was only a short distance before a clear path opened up which led to a few houses. The path looked straight and led me directly to the portal. I followed it.

But then, just a couple of meters before my scanner could touch the portal, loud barks came from the gate of a house on my right. I looked up and saw three huge dogs making their way towards me, barking loudly. I froze. I did not know what to do. Thank God I didn't panic and run.

For a few seconds, although it felt like years at that time, I just stood there and stared directly at the fierce animals in hope that they would not attack me. There was no tree or a gate that I could climb over. Then, the welcoming  voice of the owner coming out of the house calling for his dogs to stop brought me great relief. I looked again at my scanner and saw that I was touching the portal. I quickly deployed a resonator,  turned around and walked away.

Just when I was about to get into my car, a man came up to me and asked what I was doing. I just smiled and said I was visiting.

#agentstory  NIA Ops       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog