So I went for ice cream and wanted to be sure and not buy #nestles not easy but if they are going to take our...


So I went for ice cream and wanted to be sure and not buy #nestles  not easy but if they are going to take our water I'm not buying #Nestles  products....I went with Ben & Jerry's (not easy to do when your market is a gas station but worth it)

Comments

  1. You know Joe Philley , you folks in California are really getting screwed on the water supplies.  There's a lot of blame to throw around about that one. Don't even get me started. I started my own rant tonight brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and Coca Cola, and Pepsi, and Starbucks, and breweries, and any other company that bottles anything locally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerber is a locally originated company with quality product. I support quality food made here in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Owned by Nestle, yes. But I've been to the factory in Michigan where they turn Michigan apples into Apple juice. Lots of people work at that factory complex to make a quality product for our babies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No more drumsticks for me...sadz...oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nestle is just a fraction of the water, and more of a scape goat than anything. I grew up out in Fresno and if you really want to see wasted water, just check out the flooded fields/orchards and how much every dairy uses

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karar Entzenyes do you live here ? are you under a water lock down .....if not stay out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karar Entzenyes LOL  I'm saving that one for my scrapbook

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karar Entzenyes you look at the intel map think you know Cali and tell me that I should educate myself ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. William Willemstyn III I like hearing this but why rape Cali ? people in the area have bad water  and need what little we do have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paul Trebilcox-Ruiz we have to start somewhere do we not ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karar Entzenyes so you should understand that is what gets me.You are far away telling us to let someone sell our water.I'm sorry for your family and hope that does not happen here so I'm standing up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karar Entzenyes​ California girl born and raised for 38 years. Have studied in the field of environmental and resource science, specifically California's. Please do not presume to know so much simply because you've stared at a computer screen. When you've lived here, then you may have an opinion. I agree with Joe Philley​ stand. It is a solid one. My folks, who live in Northern California, live off well water. We were forced to dig a second well when the first was run dry due to large corporations such as nestle tapping into the aquifer our well was in and draining it. That water was all sent south. They couldn't really afford to dig the new well but didn't have a choice. I come from a long line of farmers and ranchers and one thing they don't do is waste water. THEY HAVE TO BUY IT! Fields are laid out so that water runs off one field and into the next to utilize every last drop. We still farm and ranch on large tracks of land and I am very familiar with the operations, practices, and stress of trying to afford enough water and the best way to use it so that none is wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joe Philley​, on your next trip through Boulder, CO you'll want to stop at Bova's, on University Hill. Their frozen custard is made in-house, and while it's all good, the tiramisu custard is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karar Entzenyes ""Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It." it would seem you did not learn from such a hard lesson....we do not plan to let that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Grandfathered water rights. That would be a good place to start. And almonds. Almond trees use way too much water.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karar Entzenyes where do we draw the line ? .. we have NO WATER and they can go elsewhere...0.01% here and 0.01% there adds up when you have none to start with and whose numbers are those.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joe, you ought to find a local dairy and get whatever ice cream they make themselves. That's living. I bet you'll have no troubles finding a good one with all your travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joe Philley​ it'd be good to know more of the facts. I've visited all over our country playing ingress, while Nestle hopped me around finding ways to improve their processes, as a industrial engineer. Your chart represents hundreds of thousands of good people; proud of what they make, that have absolutely nothing to do with California. Almost every manufacturer except the condensed milk is in the Midwest. Water is used in both the bottling operation and manufacturing of food and they have large goals always trying to reduce it. They use a stunning 0.008% of that water in California, it's been compared to a golf course's use. I do not work for the Nestle Waters divison, but I am a proud employee of the main food network. http://www.nestle.com/aboutus/ask-nestle/answers/is-nestle-contributing-to-water-scarcity-in-california. Your chart is also not correct for the US by a fair gap, you might get clued off by those chocolate candy brands you've never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dan Bailey I bet lots of good people work for the company but we have a water problem and how they have answered has some of us upset.We have a water problem we need to work on it and selling water just looks bad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. When your argument comes down to it "just looks bad" and if you don't live here "stay out of this", it's pretty clear you've lost.

    Facts know no geographical boundaries. Someone from the moon can provide accurate information, so ignoring someone based on location is just weak.

    The it "just looks bad" is much closer to the truth. This whole thing is based more in hatred of "big 'irresponsible' companies" than anything else. It's clear to anyone who has taken a rational look at the FACTS that Nestlé is being made a scapegoat here and if they stopped using water tomorrow, the problem wouldn't even be CLOSE to being solved. There are companies and industries using several hundred times more water that are being ignored, because it's not as easy to generate fake manufactured hashtag outrage against them.

    Sure, every drop counts, and small numbers add up, but there arent 500 companies spending .002 percent of the water being targeted here that will even add up to 1%. It's just one company using that tiny amount. That argument also ignores the fact that there are much larger consumers of water that can be targeted first, making for a much more efficient use of time and resources.

    But people in general want to FEEL like they are doing something while exerting as LITTLE effort as possible, regardless of whether or not it actually has any effect. I get it. But if you TRULY care about the watet supply, targeting companies that are actually wasting the water would be much more effective than this. But it wouldn't give you that sense of instant gratification or let you pat yourself on the back when you buy a competitors product.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jacob Pope Classic example of taking a quote out of context. When he said that he specifically was talking about people using their 'right' to water to get excess amounts to resell or overuse.

    Specifically he elaborated to say:

    >I do not deny that clean and safe water to drink or for basic hygiene is a human right. Of course it is. However, I do not think it is right that some people in the world do not have access to a clean, safe supply when others can use excess amounts for non-essential purposes without bearing a fairer cost for the infrastructure needed to supply it. When we give water a value, we use it more carefully, and this does not mean privatization.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Random ice cream note.. Pay attention to what you're buying. If it says 'Ice Cream' you're buying real ice cream made from real dairy. If you buy 'iced/frozen desert' or any other variation, you are buying a corn syrup created concoction that is not certified to have the name 'ice cream' on it. The same rule goes for chocolate. Just because it has chocolate in the name, that might mean it just has cocoa powder and syrup but doesn't mean you are buying real chocolate, just something that tastes like it. The ingredients will say if it's actually chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  24. There's gotta be a way to deal with this. I'm by no means informed enough to really chime in here and add more facts to the discussion (my world is mostly bits, bytes and semiconductors), but I have the feeling that if we do not get a suitable, appropriate and just solution to the drought problem (which seems to mostly boil down to the right of access to clean water, first and foremost, with a lot of additional work that needs to be done in the background), we're not going to pay with bottlecaps or mil-grade ammunition in our postapocalypse, but with water.

    And don't tell me it can't be done. Politically, perhaps (always iffy, nobody wants to give up power), but technologically, economically and juristically viewed, it's a problem one can solve by communicating and using the brain. Corporations want to make money, but people need to live and survive. There's got to be a better, nachhaltig solution for this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This whole argument boils down to "penny wise, pound (or dollar) foolish".

    ReplyDelete
  26. Joe Philley There are some good reasons why I chose to move here to Bulgaria, but lack of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream here is not one of them. I would contend that in your situation I'd survive off their ice cream alone... who needs water when you've got Ben & Jerry's? :-p

    ReplyDelete
  27. Holy shit, you appear to actually be serious...

    Well, good luck going after Nestle. I'm sure hurting the big bad Swiss corporation while ignoring everyone else will totally solve your drought for you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Joe Philley​...
    Henri de Castries is Chairman and CEO of AXA but also a director at Nestlé. Maybe AXA's connections should be on your brand chart too?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Joe Philley​ at least y'all have clean water worth buying.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jacob Pope Brabeck actually said that access to water for nonessential purposes should not be a public right so that everyone DOES have what they need.

    Basically that every person has a right to a certain amount (which is honestly fairly generous, as far as I'm concerned) for health and hygiene, but it should be privatized BEYOND THAT. So you pay more per gallon to water your garden or fill your pool than to sustain yourself.

    Oh wait, but I'm not from California so maybe my facts are meaningless, right Joe Philley - by the way, as the face of a company and a person with whom many people have friended just to help get their sitreps more visibility (and to see others), I really disapprove of using your account for this kind of soapboxing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Brian Howell I believe Reese's falls under the R.B. Hershey deal which, at least partially?, falls under Nestle.
    I know this to be true with KitKats (shows under brands for both Hershey's and Nestle). While I'm not in on the whole ordeal (why target one? Go after any and all), I just wanted to point out how intertwined the companies/brands are

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey wait a nanosecond here... My phone is running kit kat... As in Kit kat as in the chocolate candy bar made by Nestlé. Yeah Nestlé sponsoring my phone version!

    That's basically google and Nestlé hand in hand right there.

    Kinda fucks the chart right up doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Joe Philley​ admittedly I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject but I'd assume there needs to be a way to process the water to the west of you?

    So many complain about the price of gas and how we should do something to address worldwide price manipulation. To those people - wait till those with all oil today need to rely on us for water.

    Lastly, personally speaking it's things like this that the government should be there to help and not telling me what/where/how I can eat. All I know is what I've read but think it's safe to say that the leaders of CA have dropped more than a few balls and sadly much of that is being felt today. I agree that you should not support anyone that doesn't support you such as the flow chart above, hopefur you do that in aspects of life and not just this one. :)

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm fairly familiar with the topic. Both as a (former) Californian, and as someone with a decent background in the environmental sciences.

    In short, California has both a drought condition problem, and a water allocation problem. The proposed solution, a Nestle boycott, is entirely stupid, however.

    Here's the thing. California is getting less rain due to a variety of factors (decadal El Nino cycles, century timescale climactic shifts, etc). It's very, very expensive to increase supply (by desalination or new pipeline construction)

    Now, water rights. That's the more complicated, tricky, issue. I'd advise everyone who hasn't done so, to take a read at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prior-appropriation_water_rights, which describes the western US water rights situation. Under this doctrine, the FIRST USER usually has permanent rights to the water supply. In the case of much of California, that would be a historical upstream farmer versus the coastal cities which developed later. Additionally, there is little to no pricing involved in these water rights, so basically no incentive for those rightholders to use less water.

    So, the cities and industries now have a water supply that is diminishing as they're the last users in many cases. And then, even within those water districts, they then basically give away a lot of water. Lots of subsidies and volume discounts... very little of forcing all but the unpopular users of water to pay their share.

    Without a proper price signal to all parties, change and proper allocation can't happen. So instead unpopular marginal users (ie Nestle) gets a 'OMG don't export our water'. Even if California also exports a lot of water in the form of produce and finished goods. 

    Now excuse me while I sip this Laganitas...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Joe Philley​ not to bust your balls, but at least y'all have relatively clean drinking water, right? Over here in WV ours may or may not be contaminated with various mining or fracking chemicals...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Google also heavily promote Nestlé, Lizzie Dewar​, by copromoting brands such as KitKat. You gonna stop using Google too?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog