"I agreed to do #GoRuck about 12 hours before it began.
"I agreed to do #GoRuck about 12 hours before it began. No training or preparation. I thought we'd be running to volatiles or something. I think my lack of expectations helped me survive"
Originally shared by J W
GORUCK/PERSEPOLIS ANOMALY (Portland, Oregon) 2015
The Juicy Experience
I flew into this anomaly with a simple objective: run support game for my team lead & wife, Kensey Kaminski. We arrived a couple days early to explore and everything went according to plan, until the night before.
Darian Drake showed up to the bar we were at and conversation flowed. In short, I agreed to do #GoRuck about 12 hours before it began. No training or preparation. I thought we'd be running to volatiles or something. I think my lack of expectations helped me survive.
So this group of about 60 gathers near the Willamette River and we're pretty evenly spread between RES and ENL. 3/4 of us are Ingress people, the rest are GoRuck. We shake hands and share stories. Many of us are first timer GoRuck'ers. Many of us didn't know what we got ourselves into.
It begins with pushups, jumping jacks, flutterkicks, etc. I thought we were supposed to be pushing buttons on our phones. After that we march onto the first cluster for our next challenge: glyph hacks. Our team must physically position themselves into the glyphs (by memory) the captains tell us to. RES wins 2-1.
Then we got an amphibious relief: a dip in the Willamette River. I'll spare you from how much of a treat Portland water was. Anyway, the challenge here was to hold your breath underwater for 10 seconds. First ENL to pop up: 10 seconds. First RES to pop: 11 seconds. We win, and the ENL swam some more while we packed up and left.
All the while carrying sandbags, by the way. On top of each player wearing a weighted rucksack, each team was responsible for 3 HEAVY sandbags to distribute & rotate.
So we move on. Endure another RUCK mission along the way. Run a relay race along the way. Exhausted, we march into Pioneer Square.
The coolest part was that final march. Walking past hordes of RES, high five-ing us "YEAHHHHH GORUCK" was very cool. Being inside the square with screaming fans felt like we were gladiators inside the Colosseum. And these gladiators won.
You will all always be a part of my team.












Originally shared by J W
GORUCK/PERSEPOLIS ANOMALY (Portland, Oregon) 2015
The Juicy Experience
I flew into this anomaly with a simple objective: run support game for my team lead & wife, Kensey Kaminski. We arrived a couple days early to explore and everything went according to plan, until the night before.
Darian Drake showed up to the bar we were at and conversation flowed. In short, I agreed to do #GoRuck about 12 hours before it began. No training or preparation. I thought we'd be running to volatiles or something. I think my lack of expectations helped me survive.
So this group of about 60 gathers near the Willamette River and we're pretty evenly spread between RES and ENL. 3/4 of us are Ingress people, the rest are GoRuck. We shake hands and share stories. Many of us are first timer GoRuck'ers. Many of us didn't know what we got ourselves into.
It begins with pushups, jumping jacks, flutterkicks, etc. I thought we were supposed to be pushing buttons on our phones. After that we march onto the first cluster for our next challenge: glyph hacks. Our team must physically position themselves into the glyphs (by memory) the captains tell us to. RES wins 2-1.
Then we got an amphibious relief: a dip in the Willamette River. I'll spare you from how much of a treat Portland water was. Anyway, the challenge here was to hold your breath underwater for 10 seconds. First ENL to pop up: 10 seconds. First RES to pop: 11 seconds. We win, and the ENL swam some more while we packed up and left.
All the while carrying sandbags, by the way. On top of each player wearing a weighted rucksack, each team was responsible for 3 HEAVY sandbags to distribute & rotate.
So we move on. Endure another RUCK mission along the way. Run a relay race along the way. Exhausted, we march into Pioneer Square.
The coolest part was that final march. Walking past hordes of RES, high five-ing us "YEAHHHHH GORUCK" was very cool. Being inside the square with screaming fans felt like we were gladiators inside the Colosseum. And these gladiators won.
You will all always be a part of my team.












Congrats on crushing your event! Welcome to the GxI Club!
ReplyDeleteNice. Reading all of these sitreps is making me want to participate in one. I wish it wasn't a choice between doing GORUCK and doing the anomaly though.
ReplyDeleteDavid Timothy It IS part of the anomaly. We win the challenge, we get the intel.
ReplyDeleteAnd J. Ryan Will is a BEAST!