Great write up on #GoRuck
Great write up on #GoRuck
Originally shared by Trocar
“Whereas the number one man may have breezed through, the guy who was seventy-seventh probably had a bitch of a time in the water, didn’t like crawling through mud, and hated demolition - but he never quit. Experience had taught me that warthogs who tough it out are better in combat than your natural gazelles.”
- Richard Marcinko, founder of SEAL Team Six, on his team selection criteria
For me, Ingress has always been about the friendships, the challenges, and the adventures. This weekend was no exception - I made many new friendships and solidified old ones; I undertook and overcame many physical and mental challenges, together, with a team of these people; and I had one of the greatest adventures ever, not just relating to Ingress.
When I first heard about the GORUCK Challenge happening at the DC anomaly, I thought to myself, “damn, that sounds like it would be fun!” I might have even badgered a Niantic rep a bit to see if they were going to do it again in Portland, but they had no definitive answers yet. Fingers crossed, I waited, and still nothing. I had begun to give up hope, but finally a week and a half before the day of the anomaly it was announced, and I signed up immediately. Many of my friends were already going to the anomaly, and I convinced several of them to participate in the challenge with me. For this, I wonder if there is a price on my head.
We got a team hangout going, and many of the attendees had questions and concerns. Could they do it? Several approached me on the side because they thought they might not be able to complete the challenge. I relayed what the GORUCK rep had told me, this is primarily a team event, physically challenging, but focused on working as a team. No one dropped out.
The day of the event, we worked hard together, bled together, sweat together, got in a dirty river together (got giardia together?), and were warthogs together. One member of our team was pulled because of health concerns, and even with that, he fought to return to us, his team, but was not given medical clearance to do so.
At one point, during a competition for anomaly information, Max, one of our team members in a wheelchair, was told to be our cheerleader. We would not let that happen. We did everything else together as a team, we would also do this - as a team. We may have lost the challenge to our worthy opponents, but we know that we won as a team.
I want to thank all the members of this team - you are all now family.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
- Henry V, Act 4, Scene 3
Thanks to:
Resistance team: Brad ReDacted Bryceton Yost Gavin Treadgold Heather Self J. Ryan Will James Byrd James DarkKn1ght Jennifer Kellams Louie Barragan Marc Thayer Matt Lindell Max Meier, III Miguel Contreras Mike Leland Mitch Pohlkamp Nichole Halvorson Paid to Decimate Paul Borgen Rich B Ryan M Scott Lashmett Yonas Abraham
Resistance Cadre: John "Big Daddy" Croft
Overwatch/Dispatch: Terence Choy
Planning and Support: Chris Graves Dean Nielson Franklin Leung Ivan Russell Jackie Grove
Special thanks to our worthy opponents. Don't forget a challenge coin for your cadre next time, I'm still owed a beer. XOXO
#GORUCKChallenge #TeamworkBreedsSuccess #WarthogForLife #COLDBEER
Ingress GORUCK John Hanke Joe Philley Brian Rose Yennie Solheim Fuller Linda Besh Ethan Lepouttre














Originally shared by Trocar
“Whereas the number one man may have breezed through, the guy who was seventy-seventh probably had a bitch of a time in the water, didn’t like crawling through mud, and hated demolition - but he never quit. Experience had taught me that warthogs who tough it out are better in combat than your natural gazelles.”
- Richard Marcinko, founder of SEAL Team Six, on his team selection criteria
For me, Ingress has always been about the friendships, the challenges, and the adventures. This weekend was no exception - I made many new friendships and solidified old ones; I undertook and overcame many physical and mental challenges, together, with a team of these people; and I had one of the greatest adventures ever, not just relating to Ingress.
When I first heard about the GORUCK Challenge happening at the DC anomaly, I thought to myself, “damn, that sounds like it would be fun!” I might have even badgered a Niantic rep a bit to see if they were going to do it again in Portland, but they had no definitive answers yet. Fingers crossed, I waited, and still nothing. I had begun to give up hope, but finally a week and a half before the day of the anomaly it was announced, and I signed up immediately. Many of my friends were already going to the anomaly, and I convinced several of them to participate in the challenge with me. For this, I wonder if there is a price on my head.
We got a team hangout going, and many of the attendees had questions and concerns. Could they do it? Several approached me on the side because they thought they might not be able to complete the challenge. I relayed what the GORUCK rep had told me, this is primarily a team event, physically challenging, but focused on working as a team. No one dropped out.
The day of the event, we worked hard together, bled together, sweat together, got in a dirty river together (got giardia together?), and were warthogs together. One member of our team was pulled because of health concerns, and even with that, he fought to return to us, his team, but was not given medical clearance to do so.
At one point, during a competition for anomaly information, Max, one of our team members in a wheelchair, was told to be our cheerleader. We would not let that happen. We did everything else together as a team, we would also do this - as a team. We may have lost the challenge to our worthy opponents, but we know that we won as a team.
I want to thank all the members of this team - you are all now family.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
- Henry V, Act 4, Scene 3
Thanks to:
Resistance team: Brad ReDacted Bryceton Yost Gavin Treadgold Heather Self J. Ryan Will James Byrd James DarkKn1ght Jennifer Kellams Louie Barragan Marc Thayer Matt Lindell Max Meier, III Miguel Contreras Mike Leland Mitch Pohlkamp Nichole Halvorson Paid to Decimate Paul Borgen Rich B Ryan M Scott Lashmett Yonas Abraham
Resistance Cadre: John "Big Daddy" Croft
Overwatch/Dispatch: Terence Choy
Planning and Support: Chris Graves Dean Nielson Franklin Leung Ivan Russell Jackie Grove
Special thanks to our worthy opponents. Don't forget a challenge coin for your cadre next time, I'm still owed a beer. XOXO
#GORUCKChallenge #TeamworkBreedsSuccess #WarthogForLife #COLDBEER
Ingress GORUCK John Hanke Joe Philley Brian Rose Yennie Solheim Fuller Linda Besh Ethan Lepouttre











Way to go man!
ReplyDelete