I do love those Illuminator fields!

I do love those Illuminator fields!

Originally shared by Trevor Gridley (Alutiiq)

Operation: Out of the ashes
Location: Northern California (Chico, CA specifically)
Goal: Gain 543,405 MU and a Black Illuminator for Alutiiq

In our area of Northern California fielding over a city or two usually gets between 40k and 70k MU. With some advanced planning you can get up to 100k or more but that is very uncommon.  Knowing that I would need several layers I set up an op that would get me the last 900k MU that I would need (sitrep is here https://plus.google.com/+TrevorGridley/posts/BQdKfRT9azx).

After failing that and the fields were taken down the local ENL were kind enough to not block any of the lanes. This time I asked the RES to please not throw anything that would block me and they knew the basic plan this time. Not needing all 900k MU I also asked for a couple of people to help me throw. I don't like to ask for help without sharing the wealth so my first op was planned as a 1 player op. Around the first checkpoint a RES agent contacted me to see if a field she could throw would block me. I told her that it would, but after thinking about it for a minute or two I realized that would stop any other blocking links and she was going to use some of my anchor portals so I told her to throw it. That field stayed up for almost 2 checkpoints keeping all of those lanes wide open.

This time having all day to draw the plans, and including other agents, I looked at changing the op to anchor in higher population density areas and covering areas with higher population densities so the fields would be larger. My first op put up average sized fields of 44364 and using those same numbers our goal was 880k MU.

The link/field throwers were lined up and anchors were picked. The throw time was determined to start at 1:30 AM local time to make the 2:00 AM checkpoint. I was contacted by Michael Tilton agent Archangel777 saying he would accompany me on the key hacking run I needed to make. That worked out perfectly letting us start later and increased the probability of hacking the keys I needed. The key run was set to start at 10:00 PM giving us plenty of time to get the keys and get them to the key exchange location.

10:00 PM rolled around and I met up with Michael. This time the late night op fuel would deviate from the normal Snickers and Dr Pepper. Due to an earlier conversation about a portal at Ghirardelli Square, and the fact that Michael's wife had baked Ghirardelli Chocolate brownies, homemade brownies became the fuel. We set off to get the keys and to kill a couple of blockers that a fellow RES agent had set up while along the way getting uniques for Michael. With 2 agents in the car and with most portals only needing one or two keys the key run only took about 75 minutes round trip and the key exchange time was set up. While out on the key run our clearing agent Marisa Corley agent Darkhammer15, our agent who threw the link blocking field earlier, contacted us asking for kill points. There was only one that needed to go down other than ones being used as anchors and it was conveniently in her normal play area.

11:30 was the chosen key exchange time and the location would be determined once I got into the anchor town of Paradise. I got to town and chose the center of the line of anchors both for ease of access and for convenience for the op. Sheris Alvies agent Ratherbereading met me there and we exchanges all the necessary and went over link order and discussed the fielding plan. The plan was that I would make all the fields until I completed my mission of getting my Black Illuminator badge then she would get the rest of the fields. The only deviation would be two fields from portals where her cell phone reception can be spotty. Ryan Gardner agent baneofsauron was brought in to link from those two portals and for his help he would get those two fields.

12:45 Ryan still hadn't shown up for the key exchange, but had been contacted and was on his way. I needed to leave to get to the northern anchors by 1:30 to get things rolling. At about 1:15 Ryan mentions in Comms that he has the required keys, mentioning the portals to be used by name, and was at his first link point also mentioning that location by name. This was his first op so he was quickly forgiven and asked in the hangout to keep all ops communication out of the Comms.

1:30 AM start time, Sheris asks if she can start as she was parked at her first link location and had the most travelling to do between links. I asked her to wait until I was at least on location, I was still about 10 minutes out. Once I arrived at my location I told her to go ahead and start linking, she had already been given instructions on which links could be thrown without checking back in. She started and I got my first portal captured and the ultra link placed. I started my linking and fielding and was getting 45k plus per field, it was all I could do to not check my MU count every field I completed. 

I finished linking up the 10 fields from the first portal, and moved to my second one and my cell service all but died. I had no service issues with the previous op and was concerned about us making the checkpoint with all 20 layers. I wandered around the parking lot until I found 1 spot where I was in range of the portal and got it captured and modded and threw the first field from that portal up. We were now at 11 fields up and it was time for Ryan to make his two fields. He threw his first one and that was the last one we got up for checkpoint capturing 542,193 MU for the Resistance in AM01-Charlie-01. Ryan got to his second location and threw his second field and I asked for his MU counts. He didn't have the individual amounts but told me it was just over 80k and that he got the silver badge. While he was moving from one location to the next I checked my MU count to make sure I could get Sheris as many fields as possible and found out I probably only needed 1 more field so she was told to just throw 1 link and let me see where I was. Bingo 4,000,071 MU and the black badge complete I told her to give me a second to get some of my links up before she started up again. After making the rest of the links I would need for her to link from the portal she was at then I told her to link away. She already had the link order so I told her to just finish and I made all of the rest of the links I needed.

Upon completion she gave me her total as right around 367,000 MU. I was standing in a parking lot and wasn't going to run the numbers there but that put us very close to 1 million MU for the op much higher than the 880k I had guessed at. I got back home and got all of the individual field MU counts and added them up. The grand total came to 998,627 MU, and we are going to take the liberty of rounding up on this one if that isn't okay I'm sorry, 1 million MU with an average field size of about 45,392 MU. Looking at the world score at the time the Resistance had 500 million MU making this the first time the Chico Area Resistance actually felt like we made a difference even if it was only 1/500th of the score.

I would like to thank the Chico Area Resistance for their willingness to not link or field in areas that might affect this operation. I would also like to thank the local Enlightened for first clearing the lanes, then leaving them open so we could pull this off. Lastly I would  like to thank the local Enlightened for leaving it up for 3 total checkpoints counting the one we only had half of it up for.

Credit goes to +Jolene Green agent ManShapedBox for the take down.

Joe Philley Ingress 

#nighttrain  

tldr; Chico Area Resistance captured 1,000,000 mind units and for the first time Northern California could see where their score had an effect on the global MU count'

Planning:
          Alutiiq

Key Farming:
           Alutiiq
           Archangel777
           Ratherbereading

Linking/Fielding:
            Alutiiq - 543476 MU - Black Illuminator
            Ratherbereading - 371946 MU - Gold Illuminator
            baneofsauron - 83205 MU - Bronze and Silver Illuminator

Lane Clearing:
            Darkhammer15
            Ratherbereading

Take Down:
            Enlightened Agent - ManShapedBox




Comments

Popular posts from this blog