I was in Southeast Asia living on a rubber plantation being a young ramp rat where were you?


I was in Southeast Asia living on a rubber plantation being a young ramp rat where were you?

Originally shared by Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

Today in 1966: "Star Trek" (The Original Series) debuted in the U.S. on NBC. Last September, the original U.S.S. Enterprise model used in the TV show boldly went on its next adventure to our Emil Buehler Conservation Lab where it is undergoing preparations for display in our "Boeing Milestones of Flight Hall" in 2016. 

More about this model: http://bit.ly/1xAJud5

Pop culture quiz: Why did Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry decide against having the Enterprise land?

#StarTrek   #BoldlyGo   #MilestonesofFlight

Comments

  1. An egg cell in one of my mother's 13-yr-old ovaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waaaay before my time Joe Philley​ but South East Asia's changed a whole lot from back then. Might be good to visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the landing issue had to do with the amount of time wasted in other sci-fi shows with crash landings and such, and he didn't want that eating into the airtime. The transporter was a quick solution to this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still had another three months before I popped my head out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was five days old. I'm told I screamed all through the news, but fell utterly silent and rapt when the pilot came on.

    Roddenberry taught me an awful lot about being an evolved individual. Star Trek left me with a feeling about my species more powerful than what I feel about nations or governments.

    Star Trek cured my father of racism (with one of its most terrible episodes, yet!)

    Roddenberry was a tremendous preacher. I just wish more folk took his sermons to heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Give me a break, Joe Philley​! I was only 3 years old. How do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was 1 and guessing he didn't want landing gear coming out of nowhere like odie's tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baggage handler in southeast Asia...hmm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog